Has paranoia ever gotten the better of you, just as you made your first transaction online? Though online banking spells one stop convenience, it does come with certain risks. Online accounts are vulnerable to virtual threats such as hijack resulting in blocking of your account.
Don’t be startled. Here are 6 Tips you can follow to avoid falling prey to such situations.
1. Choose an account that offers two-factor authentication process for online banking.
Most of the banks these days provide a small device that can be used to generate a unique code each time you log in, that is valid for a very short period, in order to gain access to your account.
2. Creating a strong password is the stepping stone to keeping your account completely under control.
(Password construction hint: Use and mix 8-10 character long encryption code that includes both lower and upper case alphabets, numbers, and of course special characters in a creative manner that would make sense only to self). And if you don’t suffer from a bad case of Alzheimer’s, try changing your password once every six months.
3. Use a strong anti-malware on your computer system.
Secure your computer system with a strong anti-malware program and keep it up-to-date with software upgrades. Better to be safe than sorry.
4. Avoid opening emails that don’t concern you.
If ever you receive an email that appears to be from your bank asking for your account details then treat it with suspicion as it may well be a phishing attempt to trick you into handing your credentials over.When in doubt, either give them a call or access your account by typing in the address directly onto your browser.
5. It is always safe to access your account from a secure location using computers and networks you know and trust.
Look for a small padlock icon that is sighted next to ‘https’that runs along with the URL of the site which act as confirmation that you are accessing your account over a secure connection.
6. Always remember to log out once you are done.
Make sure you always logout Set your browser to clear its cache at the end of each session.
The above tips should help you take a stand against threats and avoid virtual pitfalls while you enjoy the advantages offered by online banking.